Governor Cottage, Melbourne

The original home of Victoria’s first Lt. Governor, Charles Joseph La Trobe from 1839 to 1854, This location is Melbourne’s oldest surviving building.Once described by a visitor in 1852 as “small but elegantly furnished and standing in spacious grounds,. The cottage was made from prefabricated materials brought from England.
The cottage has been restored and today contains items from the earliest time of Victoria’s European settlement.